10 Tips for better sleep. How much sleep do you get each night? Do you find it difficult to fall or remain asleep?
To maintain good mental and physical health, improve quality of life, and reduce the chance of injury, everyone needs 7-8 hours of sleep each night.
10 Tips for better sleep. Here are some tips for a restful night’s sleep
- Even on weekends, go to bed at the same time every night and wake up at the same time every morning.
- Take naps no later than 3 p.m. and no more than 15 minutes.
- Late in the day, stay away from coffee and alcohol.
- Nicotine should be avoided at all costs.
- Get some activity on a regular basis, but not within 2-3 hours of going to bed.
- Late in the day, avoid eating a substantial supper. It’s fine to have a modest snack before bedtime.
- Make your bedroom cosy, darkish, and Peaceful, at a temperature that isn’t too hot or cold.
- Make a routine to help you relax before going to bed, for example, reading or listening to music. At least an hour before night, turn off the television and other screens.
- Do not lie awake in bed. If you still can’t fall asleep after 20 minutes, try doing something relaxing like reading or listening to quiet music until you do.
- If you’re having difficulties sleeping, see a doctor.
5 sleeping tips for teens
Teenagers are especially concerned about sleep issues. A typical teen needs roughly 9 hours of sleep per night. Children and teenagers who don’t get enough may struggle to get along with others. They may be irritable and rash, experience mood swings, be gloomy or depressed, or be lacking in motivation. They may also have difficulty paying attention, have worse marks, and feel pressured.
- Teens can use the following sleep suggestions in addition to the adult suggestions
- At least an hour before bed, avoid using screens.
- All-nighters are prohibited (don’t wait until the last minute to finish your homework!
- To relieve tension, write in a diary or on a to-do list right before bed.
- On weekends, sleep no later than 2 hours later than on weekdays.
Disclaimer: This content is designed to provide general information only and is not meant to replace professional advice.