How to Hard Reset or Restart an iPad? You can utilise the hardware buttons or have the iPad shut down and restarted via Settings. A home button on an iPad: Hold down the Sleep/Wake button until you see the Power Off button. Without a home button, the iPad: Hold the Sleep/Wake and volume buttons together until the Power Off button displays. A restart is also known as a reset. When the usual restart process fails, a hard reset is used.
This article discusses how to restart an iPad and how to force it to restart if it is unresponsive. It also contains various methods for resetting an iPad.
How to Restart an iPad?
The basic restart, in which you switch the iPad off and then back on, is the simplest and the first thing you should attempt if you are experiencing hardware problems. Your data or settings will not be deleted throughout the procedure. Take the following steps:
- Your instructions will differ depending on whether or not your iPad has a home button:
- For iPads with a Home button, press and hold the power button. The iPad’s on/off button is positioned in the upper right corner.
- For iPads without a Home button, press and hold the on/off button as well as one volume button at the same time. Step 4 can be skipped.
- Hold the button down until a slider at the top of the iPad screen appears.
- Release the on/off switch.
- To turn off the iPad, move the slider from left to right (or tap Cancel if you change your mind). This turns off the iPad.
- The iPad gets turned off when the screen goes dark.
- Hold down the on/off button on the iPad until the Apple icon shows. When you release the button, the iPad will restart.
How to Hard Reset an iPad?
If an iPad becomes unresponsive, the regular restart procedure is unlikely to work. In that situation, you should perform a hard reset.
This method causes the iPad to restart (it does not erase any of your stored data, like apps and images, but you may lose any unsaved work). To execute a hard reset, follow these steps:
- Again, the instructions alter depending on whether or not your iPad includes a Home button.
- Hold down the home and on/off buttons simultaneously on iPads with Home Buttons.
- For iPads without Home Buttons, press volume down quickly, then volume up quickly, then press and hold the on/off button. Step 3 can be skipped.
- Even after the slider shows on the screen, keep holding the buttons. Eventually, the screen will go black.
- When the Apple logo appears, release the buttons and allow the iPad to restart normally.
Also Read: How to Split Screen on iPad? [Experts Guide]