Why Does a Name Appear Blue in iMessage? If you use iMessage, you’ve probably noticed that the names of the individuals you’re chatting with occasionally show in blue text. Although iMessage has been around for a long time, several aspects continue to perplex users. One of them is this mystery. What exactly does it signify when a name is displayed in blue?
And we’re not talking about the blue text bubbles or contact names that appear when you start a new chat with someone. Whether you’re not sure about these, here’s a quick explanation.
Blue conversation bubbles or blue contact names/numbers indicate that the person you’re messaging is also using iMessage. Apple’s native texting programme, iMessage, is incorporated into all Apple products, including iPhones, iPads, and Macs. It enables users to send and receive text messages, images, videos, and other media via Wi-Fi or cellular data.
If you have enabled iMessage and send a message to someone who has enabled iMessage for that contact number/email address, the message will be delivered over Wi-Fi or cellular data. This is in contrast to SMS messages, which are sent through your cellular provider and shown in green colour. Most of you probably already knew this. Now for the other question, you’ve most likely come here to ask.
The meaning of the name that appears Blue During a Conversation
If the other person mentions you in an iMessage chat, your name will show in blue. Similarly, if your name is displayed in blue in a group discussion, you have been mentioned. Only the individual who has been mentioned will see their name highlighted in blue in the dialogue.
If it’s a group conversation, other users will only see the name mentioned in bold characters rather than blue. Some people believe that the absence of the name in blue indicates that the person has blocked them. I hope those concerns have been alleviated.
How to Mention Someone in iMessage?
- To grab someone’s attention in a chat, mention them. To mention someone, write @ in the discussion, followed by their contact’s name. Tap the contact card that appears above the keyboard. Only the individual(s) involved in the chat may be stated.
- In the text box, their name will show in blue. You may also mention multiple people in a single message by typing @ followed by their name. Include the remainder of the message as usual, or leave it blank. To send the message, press the ‘Send’ button.
- While the name will no longer appear in blue at your end (it will instead be in bold), it will remain in blue for them.
- They will also be notified that you have mentioned them. A mention can even inform someone that you’ve mentioned them even if they’ve silenced the discussion, depending on their preferences. They will not receive a notification if they have customised their settings to not be alerted of mentions.
- iMessage is a great method to stay in touch with friends and family. Knowing all of its idiosyncrasies ensures that you can use it efficiently.
Also Read: How to Send Text Message instead of iMessage