How to Receive Voicemail on iPhone? Visual Voicemail (available from select carriers) offers a list of your messages in the Phone app. You may select which ones to play and which to remove without having to listen to them all. The number of unread messages is indicated by a badge on the Voicemail icon.
How to Receive Voicemail on iPhone
Voicemail transcription (beta; available in select countries or areas) displays your messages as text. Transcription is only available for English voicemails received on your iPhone running iOS 10 or later. The quality of the recording affects transcription.
Note: Voicemail, Visual Voicemail, and voicemail transcription are only available from certain carriers in certain countries or areas.
Set up voicemail
When you initially select Voicemail, you’ll be prompted to create a voicemail password & record your voicemail greeting.
- Tap Set Up Now, then Voicemail.
- Make a password for your voicemail.
- Choose between Default and Custom greetings; if you select Custom, you can record a new greeting.
Play, share, or delete a voicemail message
Siri, say something like, “Play Eliza’s voicemail.” Learn how to ask Siri questions.
Alternatively, you might perform the following:
- Select Voicemail, then select a message.
- Perform any of the following:
- Play the following message: Press the Play button. (Messages are retained until they are deleted by you or your carrier.)
- Spread the word: Select the Share option.
- Remove the message: Select the Delete option.
Important: In some countries or regions, your carrier may permanently destroy deleted messages. If you change your SIM card, your voice messages may be removed as well.
To retrieve a deleted message, go to Deleted Messages, select the message, and then select Undelete.
Check your messages when Visual Voicemail isn’t available
- Using your iPhone: Follow the instructions after selecting Voicemail.
- On a different phone: Dial your own mobile number, then enter your voicemail password after pressing * or # (depending on your carrier).
Change your voicemail settings
- Alter your greeting: Tap Greeting, then Voicemail.
- Change the password on your voicemail: Enter the new password in Settings > Phone > Change Voicemail Password.
- Contact your wireless carrier if you have forgotten your voicemail password.
- Change the voicemail alert to Select Sounds & Haptics or Settings > Sounds.